By Cornel Bongco
From an article from the Bureau of Agricultural Research siling labuyo (Capsicum frutescens) has the potential to reduce the risk of cancer, cardiovascular diseases, cataract, and macular degeneration. This was stressed by Dr. Evelyn B. Rodriguez, professor from the Institute of Chemistry at the University of the Los Baños (UPLB) in a seminar on indigenous plants for health and wellness at the Bureau of Agricultural Research (BAR) during its 19th National Research Symposium and in celebration of the 8th National Agriculture and Fisheries R&D Week.
1. Like siling labuyo, leaders reduce the risk of rogue life forms taking over healthy cells within the organization. Cancer cells are exactly that, rogue life forms, that when left unattended, usurp the organization and gives it a death blow. Leaders starve negativity, rumor mongering, under-productivity and wastage of time and other precious resources. Leaders reward growth and development. Like active anti-cancer cells that stretches a cancer cell so that the immune system can analyze how it could be fought, leaders stretch these issues, analyze them so that they could be treated, cured and if possible eliminated.
2. Siling labuyo makes the flow of blood through the veins better! With the flow of blood is life giving oxygen. Leaders inspire the free flow of feedback, opinions, creative ideas and information and uses these to bring life to the organization. The free flow makes people involved, makes them feel important, and therefore, breathes life to the organization.
3. Siling labuyo reduces the risk of cataract and macular degeneration, both eye disorders. Leaders prevent the distortion of the clarity of the organization’s vision! Great leaders take time and resources to see if the whole team pursues the same vision wholeheartedly and passionately.
4. Siling labuyo mixed with oil has been used long ago to alleviate pain. Leaders find time to mix with the team and lubricate any pain or friction within the organization! Mini celebrations and daily recognition spontaneously done, makes the team work longer and more passionately amidst long hours!
5. Siling labuyo is a favorite to spice up any dish! Appetite stimulant for others, siling labuyo, makes some people eat a lot more. Great leaders are great appetite stimulants too. They stir the organization to greater heights by not being satisfied with what today brings but make everyone hungry for more!